PAYASITA POLITICO

The call-them-as-I-see-them political thoughts of a 28 year old mom. WARNING: THIS BLOG CONTAINS STRONG POLITICAL OPINION COUPLED WITH SARCASM AND SATIRE. HOPEFULLY IT WILL OFFEND. NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH HEART, LIVER, OR KIDNEY PROBLEMS. OR METROSEXUALS.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Don'tLookForMe, Anywhere, United States

I'm a crack-ho lazy mom who vacillates between feelings of inadequacy and delusions of grandeur. I am not bothered by kid snot, garlic breath or Bob Dylan's voice. But pinch me with your toes and I will probably kill you.

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

ABORTION (yuck)

I have, no doubt stupidly, become entrenched in a debate on the abortion issue. I put out a feeler on Slate's The Fray just to see who I could hook into an argument. I know. I know. I'm retarded. I am going to post the first argument I made and the replies that I have gotten. If you can take religion and feminism out of the argument it is an interesting discussion in the abstract. In the actual, it is horrific, especially if you are anti (like I am). So here it is:

I am against abortion because I believe that each person's individual humanity begins at conception. I believe that an unborn baby has the right to exist in his or her mother's womb and children have the right to be protected from conception to adulthood. I have heard every pro-choice argument and will never be convinced that an unborn baby is not a life worthy of protection. But let me pose one question before people try to convince me anyway and the name calling ensues. If you believe that an unborn baby is a human being and that abortion destroys a human life, what are you morally obligated to do?

The legal ropes of the protests that I may engage in are getting tighter and tighter. I can't approach a woman on her way into an abortion clinic even to tell her that the abortionist she is about to see has a malpractice record a mile long. People who believe strongly in the rights of animals are not forbidden from approaching fur-bearing individuals and letting them know what they think. And in those cases, the crime has already been committed. The animals are dead.

Every time I have seen a woman walking into a clinic to have an abortion, I have cried too hard to even speak to her. All I am looking for is a way to reach women who are suffering with this dilemma and give them my point of view before they have an abortion which is irreversible. I have no political agenda or even a social agenda. I think everyone is entitled to do and be pretty much whatever they want, but to me the term "everyone" includes the unborn. I advocate no form of violence whatsoever and that is why I am pro-life and against abortion.

I feel that my views are being more and more stifled by the press and the politicians and the judges of this country. No one seems to have come up with an adequate solution because just when everyone becomes numb to the idea of abortion, you hear of a Laci Peterson and her unborn son or a "partial birth" abortion that makes you pause and wonder if maybe there is a responsibility to protect these children before they are denied justice by the choice advocates.