PAYASITA POLITICO

The call-them-as-I-see-them political thoughts of a 28 year old mom. WARNING: THIS BLOG CONTAINS STRONG POLITICAL OPINION COUPLED WITH SARCASM AND SATIRE. HOPEFULLY IT WILL OFFEND. NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH HEART, LIVER, OR KIDNEY PROBLEMS. OR METROSEXUALS.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Don'tLookForMe, Anywhere, United States

I'm a crack-ho lazy mom who vacillates between feelings of inadequacy and delusions of grandeur. I am not bothered by kid snot, garlic breath or Bob Dylan's voice. But pinch me with your toes and I will probably kill you.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Bad, Bad New York Times

I can't remember when I stopped reading the New York Times. I remember them calling to ask me to renew my subscription and me saying that I wouldn't buy that paper to wipe my ass.

I read this post by Michelle Malkin and nearly cried in frustration. It embodies all the reasons why I will not ever subscribe to that rag again.

The Times wrote a maudlin, morale sapping piece on the "milestone" of 2,000 dead troops who have served in Iraq. As ridiculous as this story was in its assumption that stupid American minds only comprehend the scope and sacrifice of our soldiers in pretty, little round numbers, their ommission of the words of Corporal Jeffrey B. Starr is the most vile of all the indignities. If you are going to write a story on a dead troop, at least have the decency to use his words as he would have wanted them. It was no problem for the Times to fill this useless piece up with moronies like,

"Whites, who represent the vast majority of combat troops, accounted for a larger share of the dead among the most recent 1,000, about three out of four. Blacks and Hispanics died at a somewhat slower rate over the last year."

But writing out all of Corporal Starr's last letter to his girlfriend was what? Too wordy? Grammatically incorrect? Nope. It was not in keeping with the theme of the article. The letter was courageous, and not racially divisive. It made him look like the honorable man that he was, but the Times preferred an attempt to emasculate his father instead.

Here's what the Times had to say about Corporal Starr:

"Another member of the 1/5, Cpl. Jeffrey B. Starr, rejected a $24,000 bonus to re-enlist. Corporal Starr believed strongly in the war, his father said, but was tired of the harsh life and nearness of death in Iraq. So he enrolled at Everett Community College near his parents' home in Snohomish, Wash., planning to study psychology after his enlistment ended in August.
But he died in a firefight in Ramadi on April 30 during his third tour in Iraq. He was 22.

Sifting through Corporal Starr's laptop computer after his death, his father found a letter to be delivered to the marine's girlfriend. "I kind of predicted this," Corporal Starr wrote of his own death. "A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances."

His father, Brian Starr, had been preparing a basement apartment in his home for Corporal Starr to live in after leaving the Marines. Now Mr. Starr plans to turn it into a memorial of sorts, to display Corporal Starr's war ribbons and the neatly folded flag that once draped his coffin. Perhaps he will also install a pool table there to remind people of his son's fun-loving side.
Mr. Starr, an accountant, said he remained convinced that invading Iraq was the right thing to do. But he said he would also like firsthand confirmation that the war, and Corporal Starr's death, were not in vain.


"I'm hoping, my wife is hoping, that we can visit Ramadi," he said, fighting back tears. "And feel safe. And feel like Jeff died for something."

Here is what Corporal Starr actually wrote to his girlfriend:

"Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this, that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances. I don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom. It may seem confusing why we are in Iraq, it's not to me. I'm here helping these people, so that they can live the way we live. Not have to worry about tyrants or vicious dictators. To do what they want with their lives. To me that is why I died. Others have died for my freedom, now this is my mark."

This was a brave and good man. A hero. The best that America has to offer. His sacrifice for the freedom of the Iraqi people was worth it. But the real question is, was his sacrifice for the New York Times' freedom to ram this stinking sludge down our throats worth it?